bannerImage bannerImage

Claims in Equity


Our experts can assist you with:

  • Breach of trust claims.
  • Fiduciary duty claims.

Good People, Great Lawyers

Our clients are whānau

Our clients are individuals and families, companies and trusts, charities, hapū and iwi. We pride ourselves in caring for our clients, making their lives easier through the long-standing relationships we build with them. 

Excellence, People, Teamwork

McCaw Lewis is driven by three key values: Whāia te iti kahurangiManaakitanga and Kotahitanga.


We offer a comprehensive suite of legal services with a focus on commercial, Te Tiriti o Waitangipropertydispute resolutionasset planningenvironmental/natural resourcesworkplace law and Māori land

Contact us today

07 838 2079

Our team are ready to help with your civil dispute. You can give us a call or enter your details in the form below and we will contact you as soon as possible.

Related Publications


“Put Up or Shut Up” – A Valuable Trustee Tool

Being a trustee is an onerous duty, particularly when someone is alleging they have a claim against you personally as a trustee or that they have a claim against the property of the trust/estate you are administering.  Section 135 of the Trusts Act 2019, formerly section 75 of the Trustee Act 1956, provides an effective, but not often utilised, solution – it enables you to require the person making the allegation to “put up or shut up”. 

Read more

How to Manage Your Role as an Executor and Beneficiary in a Civil Dispute

If you are appointed as an executor under a Will, a large amount of trust is placed in you. An executor has duties towards the beneficiaries, and beneficiaries have their own rights.  But what about when an executor is also a beneficiary under a Will? How do you balance those two roles?

Read more

Trust disputes and the High Court

Trust disputes often arise due to differing views and personalities amongst trustees and/or trustee misconduct. Sometimes a ‘problem trustee’ is willing to retire, and retirement and replacement simply happens via the trust deed. But often that is not the case, or is not possible, and the High Court needs to step in. This article addresses the High Court’s jurisdiction around trusts and, in particular, trustee removal and replacement.

Read more